Are you ready to take your living space to the next level? Look no further than the humble rug! Seriously. Just look down and your inspiration can be found right under your feet in the form of a plain floor.
Not only can a great rug add warmth and comfort to your home, but it can also serve as a stylish focal point that ties the whole room together. And they’re great for hiding secret compartments in the floorboards.
But with so many options out there, it can be overwhelming to choose the perfect rug for your cozy living space. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you and compiled a list of the 10 absolute best types of at-home rugs that will transform your home decor game.
Sink your toes into the ultimate comfort zone with a shaggy area rug. These bad boys are the epitome of cozy, with their soft and plush texture that’s perfect for curling up after a long day.
I used to have one of these and honestly, I would’ve been comfortable sleeping on this rather than a bed.
For the ultimate sensory experience, opt for a neutral color that will keep the focus on the luxurious texture. Just be careful with white or light grays as those can get dirty rather quickly.
It’s as if someone gathered all the clouds in the sky and put them under your feet. Shag rugs are definitely the type that you’d want to go barefoot on.
Characteristics of a Shag Rug
- Deep pile: Shag rugs typically have a deep pile that can range from 1 inch to several inches in length.
- Soft texture: The long, plush fibers of a shag rug give it a soft and luxurious texture that feels great underfoot.
- Shaggy appearance: The fibers of a shag rug are often twisted or curled, giving it a shaggy or fluffy appearance.
- Wide range of materials: Shag rugs can be made from a variety of materials, including wool, synthetic fibers, and even silk.
- Variety of colors: Shag rugs come in a wide range of colors, from neutral shades to bold and bright hues.
- Versatile: Shag rugs can be used in a variety of settings, from cozy living rooms to stylish bedrooms.
- Warmth and comfort: Because of their soft texture and deep pile, shag rugs are a great way to add warmth and comfort to a room.
- Maintenance: Shag rugs can require more maintenance than other types of rugs, as the long fibers can trap dirt and dust. Regular vacuuming and spot cleaning are recommended to keep your shag rug looking its best.
Add some personality to your living space with decorative Moroccan rugs. Hand-made by the indigenous tribes of Morocco in North Africa, these rugs have deep historical and cultural importance.
Woven into each pattern and symbol are the stories and experiences of the individual weaver.
Beautiful enough to serve as a decorative piece but also durable enough to be functional.
Characteristics of a Moroccan Rug
- Bold geometric patterns: Moroccan rugs often feature bold geometric patterns, such as diamonds, triangles, and hexagons.
- Vibrant colors: These rugs typically feature bright, bold colors, including reds, blues, greens, and oranges.
- Handmade: Most Moroccan rugs are handmade by skilled artisans using traditional techniques.
- High pile: Moroccan rugs often have a high pile, which makes them soft and comfortable to walk on.
- Woolen texture: These rugs are typically made from high-quality wool, which gives them a soft, plush texture.
- Irregular shape: Unlike other rugs that have a standard rectangular shape, Moroccan rugs often have an irregular shape that adds to their unique charm.
Add some of Iran’s deep history to your living room with a Persian rug. These rugs are famous for their intricate designs and rich, deep colors that bring a touch of luxury to any room.
The intricacy and sophistication of these rugs often make these rugs an investment piece. If you want to feel like a high-standing, fancy-pants collector of fine arts, grab yourself one of these for your home.
Plus, with their durable construction and long-lasting beauty, these rugs are sure to become a beloved family heirloom for generations to come.
Characteristics of a Persian Rug
- Intricate designs: Persian rugs are known for their intricate designs and patterns, often inspired by nature and mythology.
- Rich colors: Persian rugs are made using natural dyes, which create rich and vibrant colors.
- High-quality materials: Persian rugs are typically made from high-quality wool or silk, which makes them durable and long-lasting.
- Handmade: Persian rugs are traditionally handmade by skilled artisans, which adds to their value and uniqueness.
- Knot density: Persian rugs are known for their high knot density, which creates a plush and comfortable feel underfoot.
- Investment piece: Persian rugs are often considered a valuable investment piece, as they can appreciate in value over time.
Go green with jute rugs! These rugs are spun from the fibers of the jute plant so they’re a great, environmentally friendly choice.
If you want to take things a step further, the leaves of jute plants are also edible and abundant in vitamins so you can eat jute while sitting on jute!
And just because they’re made from plants, doesn’t mean they’re not extremely durable. Jute will make the perfect addition to any wood or natural furniture you have at home.
Characteristics of a Jute Rug
- Natural Material: Jute rugs are made from natural fibers of the jute plant, which is a renewable resource.
- Earthy Texture: Jute fibers have a course and rustic texture that gives the rug a natural, organic feel.
- Durable: Jute is a strong material that can withstand wear and tear, making it a good choice for high-traffic areas.
- Absorbs Sound: Jute has natural sound-absorbing properties, making it a great option for rooms with high ceilings or hard flooring.
- Eco-friendly: Jute is a biodegradable material, which makes it an environmentally friendly choice for your home.
I remember taking geometry class in middle and these rugs just take me back. If you want to be transported back down memory lane to your own childhood, pick up a geometric rug. (Just kidding)
With all of their shapes and angles, they’ll make you want to pull out a protractor.
There’s just something so satisfying about seeing such clean lines and distinct shapes in every geometric rug.
Characteristics of a Geometric Rug
- Bold, graphic patterns: Geometric rugs often feature repeating shapes, lines, and patterns in bold, contrasting colors.
- Modern style: Many geometric rugs have a contemporary, modern aesthetic that can add a fresh and updated look to a space.
- Versatility: Because geometric rugs come in so many different patterns and colors, they can work well with a variety of decor styles and color schemes.
- Visual interest: The repeating patterns and shapes in geometric rugs can add texture and visual interest to a space, making it feel more dynamic and engaging.
- Durability: Many geometric rugs are made from durable materials like wool or synthetic fibers, which can make them a great option for high-traffic areas or homes with pets and children.
If you want something that’s a bit less fluffy like the Moroccan or Persian rugs that use a pile technique, Kilim rugs, with their flatweave, might be just the thing.
Similar to geometric rugs in their design and are great if you want a softer area to play and slide toys across.
Although you might not want to fall asleep on these rugs, the thinner weave of these rugs makes them a good fit for doorways with less clearance.
Characteristics of a Kilim Rug
- Bold and colorful designs: Kilim rugs are known for their striking patterns, which often include geometric shapes, bold stripes, and intricate floral motifs.
- Lightweight and flexible: Because they are made of flat-weave construction, Kilim rugs are thinner and more lightweight than many other types of rugs, making them easy to move and use in a variety of spaces.
- Durable: Kilim rugs are woven using a tight, interlocking technique that makes them strong and long-lasting.
- Versatile: Kilim rugs can work in a variety of decor styles, from bohemian to mid-century modern.
- Cultural significance: Kilim rugs are often handmade by skilled artisans using traditional techniques passed down through generations, giving them a rich cultural heritage.
Faux Fur Rug
As an animal lover, I always try to avoid stepping on them when I can. And faux fur, aka fake fur, rugs give me the same sense of luxury without having to think about the animal it came from.
And because it’s not actual fur, you can have a rug with fur made of ‘insert mythical furry creature here‘ and pretend like you’re a slayer of monsters who kept this beast’s hide as a trophy.
My real life is nowhere near that exciting so I’m more than happy to live in that magical world. Anyways, faux fur rugs, check them out.
Characteristics of a Faux Fur Rug
- Softness: Faux fur rugs are incredibly soft and plush, providing a cozy and comfortable surface.
- Texture: The texture of faux fur is similar to real animal fur, with a soft, fluffy and furry feel.
- Durability: Faux fur rugs are often made from synthetic materials, which make them durable and long-lasting.
- Versatility: Faux fur rugs come in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes, making them a versatile option for any living space.
- Luxury: Faux fur rugs add a touch of luxury and sophistication to any room, making them a popular choice for home decor.
- Easy to clean: Faux fur rugs are easy to clean and maintain, requiring just regular vacuuming and occasional spot cleaning.
- Hypoallergenic: Unlike real animal fur, faux fur rugs are hypoallergenic, making them a great option for those with allergies.
These types of rugs have been used in homes for centuries, dating all the way back to colonial American times.
A bit rougher and grittier than the other at-home rugs on this list, they’re great for rustic design styles.
Braided rugs are like the resident bad boys when it comes to rugs, with their tough and practical exterior, but also beautifully designed.
Characteristics of a Braided Rug
- Durability: Braided rugs are incredibly durable and can last for many years with proper care. They are often made from natural materials like wool, cotton, or jute, which are strong and resilient.
- Texture: Braided rugs have a unique texture that comes from the way they are made. The braids create a soft, pliable surface that is comfortable to walk on.
- Color options: Braided rugs come in a wide range of colors, from neutral shades like beige and gray to bold, bright colors like red and blue. This makes them a versatile option for any room in the home.
- Size options: Braided rugs are available in a variety of sizes, from small accent rugs to large area rugs. This makes it easy to find the perfect rug for your space.
- Easy to clean: Braided rugs are easy to clean and maintain, which makes them a practical choice for busy households. They can be vacuumed or spot cleaned as needed, and some can even be machine washed.
- Farmhouse charm: Braided rugs are often associated with a farmhouse or country style, which can add warmth and charm to any home. They are perfect for creating a cozy, inviting atmosphere.
If you’re trying to create a space that feels more connected to nature, floral rugs would be the perfect addition.
Flowers have always been a symbol of beauty. With so many different designs and colors, these types of rugs will also help you add some beauty to your own home.
Characteristics of a Floral Rug
- Design: Floral rugs are known for their intricate floral designs, which can range from delicate and understated to bold and vibrant. They often incorporate a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes of flowers, creating a unique and visually interesting pattern.
- Color: Floral rugs are often characterized by their bright and bold colors, including shades of red, pink, purple, blue, and green. They can add a pop of color to any room, making them perfect for spaces that need a little extra visual interest.
- Seasonal appeal: Depending on the color scheme and design of the rug, floral rugs can add a seasonal touch to your home decor, whether it’s a bright and bold summer look or a more muted autumnal feel.
- Versatility: Floral rugs can be found in a variety of materials, including wool, cotton, silk, and synthetic fibers. They can also come in a range of sizes, from small accent rugs to large-area rugs, making them a versatile choice for any room in the house.
- Mood: Floral rugs can create a calming and soothing atmosphere in a room. They evoke a sense of nature and can bring the outdoors inside, adding a fresh and natural element to any space.
When it comes to choosing a rug for your home, sometimes less is more. A neutral rug is the perfect way to keep things understated and create a versatile foundation for any decor style.
With a soft gray or beige hue, a neutral rug seamlessly blends in with your existing furnishings, allowing your other decor elements to take center stage.
Sometimes it’s nice to let others do the heavy lifting. Neutral rugs do just that by taking a backseat while supporting other accents in the room.
Characteristics of a Neutral Rug
- Subtlety: Neutral rugs typically have muted colors like beige, gray, or ivory, making them a subtle addition to a room.
- Timelessness: Neutral rugs are timeless and never go out of style, making them a long-term investment for your home.
- Complementarity: Neutral rugs complement any color scheme or decor style, allowing them to be used in a wide range of living spaces.
- Calming: Neutral colors are often associated with calmness and relaxation, making neutral rugs a great choice for creating a peaceful atmosphere in a room.
- Easy maintenance: Neutral rugs are often made of materials that are easy to clean, making them a practical choice for homes with children or pets.
- Versatility: Neutral rugs can be used as a base layer to anchor a room and create a neutral foundation, or as a complement to other patterned or colorful decor items.
No matter what your style or budget, a well-chosen rug can transform your living space and make it feel more inviting and cozy.
Whether you’re looking for a shaggy rug to sink your toes into or a bold, Moroccan-inspired pattern to make a statement, there’s an at-home rug out there that’s perfect for you.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match styles and textures to create a unique look that reflects your personal taste. With the right rug, you can create a warm and welcoming atmosphere that will make you and your guests feel right at home.